If you love food and travel, you probably already know of the world famous Michelin Guide books. These books rate and review all the best restaurants in Major cities across the world. There are other restaurant review guides, but this is the oldest and probably the most famous. Seoul Korea doesn’t have a Michelin Red Guide out, but it does have the Green guide. Here are the restaurants that are listed in the Seoul Apgujeong section of the Michelin Green Guide. We here at shikdang are dedicated to bringing you the best possible info about the restaurant and food scene in Seoul, Korea. We try to research and experience all that we can and report the findings to you guys. Let us know how we are doing and join us by leaving us a comment or becoming a member of Shikdang.com.
Samwon Garden. This well known Korean style grill is supposed to have the best meat south of the river. It’s huge with seating available for 1200 diners. Meat portions per person are 24,000-54,000 Won. Reservations are recommended.
Gorilla in the Kitchen. This restaurant is well known because the actor Bae Yong Jun owns the joint. It’s an organic restaurant and the restaurant motto is “No cream, no fat, no worries.”
Jung Sik Dang. Jung Sik Dang offers Korean Nouvelle cuisine. Lunch time prices are 40,000 Won and Dinner will set you back 120,000 Won. This Korean fusion style restaurant provides delicious food that are very well presented. The service is also top notch.
Palais de Gaumont. One of the oldest restaurants in the Gangnam area. Back in the day this French restaurant in Seoul used to be a pioneer of European haute cuisine. It’s still very much considered a luxurious and elegant venue with food that’ll satisfy.
Wooriga. Wooriga features traditional Korean style food in a sophisticated package. Everything is beautiful and delicious. The setting seems to be a little impersonal.
These are the restaurants listed in Michelin’s green guide for South Korea. Check out the location and reviews for these and other fine restaurants by going over to shikdang dot com.
10. SULTAN KEBAB HOUSE - This is the original Kebab restaurant that started it all. Now everywhere you look, you see Kebab places. Well, it started in Itaewon by a guy named Omer Yilmaz. He started selling kebabs on the street in 2006 and slowly started to get famous. He opened a store in Itaewon and the rest is history. Everyone knows what Kebabs are so I won’t explain what it looks like. The taste is what matters the most and I can say hands down these Kebabs are the best in Seoul. The lamb and beef are imported but every other veggies are from local farms. You can ask for the spicy sauce (I leave that out). You probably won’t see Omer since he has opened multiple stores in Seoul, but if you do, try to talk to him. He is a real nice and friendly guy. Phone number 02-730-4418. Continue reading →
These are my picks for the top 10 restaurants in Hongdae. If you guys know of some awesome restaurants in Hongdae that i left out, please leave me a comment with the info. Thanks!
10. PENONG - This Chinese restaurant in Hongdae is not your typical Chinese restaurant. It does not have ja jang myeon or thang Su yook. However if you are looking for some real Chinese food, this is where you will find it. They have a great selection of duck dishes which are a bit too fatty and greasy. Maybe that is why it tastes to good. The Moo-shoo pork was kinda gross. It was way too soft and mushy. Phone number 02-325-3114. Continue reading →
These are my picks for the best restaurants in Seoul‘s Gangnam area. By Gangnam I mean near Gangnam Station. So don’t post comments as to why a restaurant did not make this list. Remember…NEAR GANGNAM STATION. On a side note BUTTERFINGERS just missed the cut.
10. ILL MARE – If you are looking for the best Italian lunch set in Gangnam. You came to the right place. For under 10,000 won you get a set that gives you salad, pizza, pasta, and a cup of coffee for dessert. The salad was very plain, the pizza was way too small and way too cheesy, however the pasta was very delicious. I mean what can you expect for 10,000 won?? The place looks very clean and they have many tables in the back. However during the peak lunch hours you probably will not be able to find a seat. Phone number 02-2051-8697. Continue reading →
These are my picks for top 10 restaurants in Apgujeong dong, Seoul, Korea.
10. DAN SUSHI- This is the best Japanese restaurant in Seoul that uses the rotating table setup to serve their sushi. You come in and you sit down and just start eating. Dishes go around in a circle and the prices are all different. You have to look at the color of the dishes to see which ones are cheap and which ones are expensive. Dan Sushi is as best as you can get. They have this cooked beef on rice which is awesome and their salmon with this cream white sauce is delicious. It could get expensive because the food is right there for you to grab and before you know it you have 30-40 plates on your table! Continue reading →
10. LE TRE CAMPANE in Hongdae: If you are looking for some good stone baked pizza restaurants in Seoul you need to check out this place. They use a huge stone oven and make the pizzas so the cheese turns a dark orange. Be careful because the pizzas here tend to get cold pretty fast. Once the pizzas go past a certain point they were very rubbery. I think overall the pizzas were good but they need to be more crispy. Also the tomato sauce is not sweet enough. Phone number: 02-336-3378. Continue reading →
10. SALA THAI in Apgujeong: This place is near Rodeo just around the street. This is a perfect place to come to shop and find some good Thai food. They also have another location in Bundang in Jeongja. Both places are great places to go when you are on a date. You must try the Green curry with Chicken. They make it kinda sweet which makes it super addicting. I talked to the owner and he wants to open more stores by 2012. However I tried many of their other dishes however they were a bit dissapointing. Get the curry! Continue reading →
10) RAW in Gangnam: This Japanese restaurant in Seoul is near Kyobo Tower. The Japanese Ramen bowls are HUGE! This place is known for their rolls but their ramen is not half bad. They put corn in it and being from the states…I love corn! Also in Gangnam you are not going to find a better ramen place. There were some smaller ramen houses in Gangnam but they all ran out of business. Since Raw sells other kinds of Japanese food, they will be hanging around for a long time. Phone number 3482-4554. Continue reading →
10. CAFE IMAin Jongno: 139 Sejong-no, Jongno-gu. This Italian restaurant in Seoul, has “pure” Italian food. Everything seems fresh. Nothing is spectacular, but everything is decent. The pastas might be the best on the menu. You must try the apple pie when you go there. However this place gets way too crowded. Expect to wait a very long time if you go during lunch hours. Continue reading →
10. MANKAMANA in Shinchon: This Indian restaurant in Seoul has the most tender lamb ever. The chicken curry was terrible tho. The lamb curry is the only dish to get and this dish is the only reason this place made the top 10. Overall the problem with this place was that it was just too damn spicy. If you like spice move this place up a couple of slots. I would also recommend the lassi drink which is pretty good. Continue reading →