These are my picks for the best Mexican restaurants in Seoul.
10. TACO RICO in Gangnam: This place makes the list because the food is being cooked by a real Mexican. So I was expecting a lot! Don’t expect too much. Some stuff are good like the nachos or the burritos. But the tacos are terrible. This place is a mixed bag. I hear good things as well as some bad things about this place. Also the location sucks. Good luck trying to find this place. My best advice. Get out exit 7 Gangnam Station and make a right at the first small street you see. Keep going up the hill until you can’t go anymore. Then turn right. The place has a open kitchen but the seating is very limited.
9. CHOI’S TACOS in Sinchon: This place makes the list because it tastes good. But this place is a disgrace to Mexican food. It is made by Koreans and the tacos and burritos have a “korean taste.” They even call some of the dishes “Kor-Mex”. The place is small and the line gets super crazy during lunch hours. Most of the time I go there I see the line and just say “FORGET IT!” The tacos are really good, probably the best thing on the menu, but their beef burritos are alright as well. The price is decent and the chef is pretty cool if you get a chance to talk to him.
8. LOS AMIGOS in Itaewon: This place is a great place to pre-eat before you go out to party. The place has really good fajitas, enchiladas, toastas, and drinks. But their burritos are pretty bad. They play live music sometimes. I actually like the place more then the food. Phone Number 02-795-9711
7. TACO FACTORY in Gwanghwamun: This place is HUGE! It kinda looks like a old Mexican church. I never had to wait long to be seated. Also the food comes out pretty fast compared to other sit down Mexican Restaurants. Their crispy beef tacos are the best hard shell tacos in Seoul…however everthing else is very below average. It was too greasy. Also the taste was a bit off. I wonder who looked the dishes in the kitchen. My friend got the cheese enchilada and it was decent. So if you ever go here get the crispy beef tacos…and another. Phone number 02-732-1998
6. TACO CHILI CHILI in Itaewon: They come pretty close to making “real” mexican tacos. The tacos come in corn tortillas and the load it with a lot of beef. The burritos are very average and it is loaded with too much rice. Tell them to go very easy on the rice when you get the burritos. Also you can get a good quesadilla for 5,000 won. In fact everything on the menu is pretty cheap. Do not get the nachos tho…the worst nachos I have eaten in Korea. Phone number 02-797-7219
5. ON THE BORDER in Sinchon: This is a huge family mexican restaurant in Seoul. The menu is big as well. The servings are for Americans…huge portions! The taste is good as well, however after your 16th bite you kinda get sick of it real fast. This place has really good fajitas and everyone in the restaurant will know you ordered it because it is crazy loud when they bring it out. This place might have the best margaritas in Seoul. Come here if you are hungry and bring a friend.
4. TOMATILLO in Yeoksam: This place is a copycat of Chipotle. If Chipotle was a 10/10 this place is a 6/10. But STILL it is pretty good. Their chips are fantastic, so try the Nachos if you get a chance. The burritos are decent. Again too much rice and the quality of the meat is NOTHING like chipotle. Everything seems fresh and they have a wide open kitchen so you can see your food being made. However this place is very hard to find. First you have to find the Gangnam Finance Center and it will be in the basement.
3. TACO BELL in Itaewon: SCREW YOU GUYS! I LOVE taco bell! The cool part is that it is VERY similar to America. They don’t have the full menu but the tacos, taco supremes, and the crunchy wrap are dead on. They even have the fire sauce. Also how can you beat the price? This place tastes good plain and simple. For Taco Bell to be ranked this high just goes to show that Korea has very bad Mexican food compared to America.
2. DOS TACOS in Gangnam: Great Tacos. Get the Taco Set, it comes with three different kinds of tacos. Try all three and decide which one you like the best. Their menu is big so there are many things to try. They have good nachos and sometimes they even have the Horchatta drink. The burritos are good as well but ask them to take out the olives. Olives should not be in a burrito. Also the hot sauce is very spicy so be careful.
1. CASA LOCA in Yeouido: This place has the finest Mexican Chefs in Seoul. They use no msg, no cans with preservatives, no artificial colors, no microwaves, and no lard. They use the finest ingredients and the freshest of all veggies…so claims the manager. I was expecting a lot and they delivered. Greats Tacos, Burritos, and Nachos. My favorite might have been the shrimp tacos…mmmm… SO GOOD! Also their sauces were not too spicy. I actually had nothing negetive to say about this place so it is #1 on shikdang.com. Phone number 02-541-5671