These are my picks for the best restaurants in Seoul‘s Gangnam area. By Gangnam I mean near Gangnam Station. So don’t post comments as to why a restaurant did not make this list. Remember…NEAR GANGNAM STATION. On a side note BUTTERFINGERS just missed the cut.
10. ILL MARE – If you are looking for the best Italian lunch set in Gangnam. You came to the right place. For under 10,000 won you get a set that gives you salad, pizza, pasta, and a cup of coffee for dessert. The salad was very plain, the pizza was way too small and way too cheesy, however the pasta was very delicious. I mean what can you expect for 10,000 won?? The place looks very clean and they have many tables in the back. However during the peak lunch hours you probably will not be able to find a seat. Phone number 02-2051-8697.
9. JULIO’S TACOS – Looking for Mexican food? This just beat out Taco Rico because I didn’t come here until a week ago. It is across the street from club NB and this place has many different kinds of Mexican food. They are famous for their tacos and sliders, however I was impressed with their quesadillas and burritos. They also have Enchiladas but they were kinda gross. Way too mushy. The portions here are very small and you will not get full unless you spend over 20,000 won. Also a word of advice, DON’T get the red beans and rice! Gross!
8. PUCCINI – This Italian restaurant in Gangnam is better than Ill Mare because of the quality. They changed managers which completely changed this restaurant. They went and hired the manager from La Tavola who is Italian himself. He gave this place some new life and a new taste. They have the best spaghetti in Gangam. It is very cheesy and the sauce itself is not too sweet. This place is not as expensive as you would think. The prices are very reasonable and that is why you see so many students eating here. Phone number: 552-2877.
7. CAFE PASHA – The best Turkish restaurant in Gangnam. This is a nice change of pace from all the Italian and Korean Restaurants in Gangnam. This place brings real Turkish food to Gangnam because they have real Turkish chefs. Get the Kebabs which are grilled meat on a stick. Or get their famous wraps. They have a set menu which comes with ice cream. Also don’t forget to get the Turkish Ice Cream made from goat’s milk….now that sounds delicious. Phone number: 02-596-5588.
6. DOS TACOS – Great Tacos and Nachos. Get the Taco Set, it comes with three different kinds of tacos (soft shell, hard shell, and corn soft shell). Try all three and decide which one you like the best. Their menu is big so there are many things to try. They even have the Horchatta drink. The burritos are good as well but ask them to take out the olives. Olives should not be in a burrito. Also the hot sauce is very spicy so be careful. This place is a bit hard to find. Go towards Kyobo book store and it is on the left side in an ally.
5. SUSHI CALIFORNIA – If you guys know me…you know I love sushi!!! This is the best Japanese sushi restaurant in Seoul when it comes to the price and quality. The sushi rolls will not blow you away but they are decent. Especially the chef specials and the rose roll. When you come here you must order the lobster roll but stay away from the spider roll. The Unagi rolls are pretty good but really you come here for the sushi. All the sushi’s are reasonably priced and you can even order some toro (fatty tuna) here. Where else can you get tuna sushi for 3,000 won and fatty tuna for 5,000 won. Remember the best roll however is the rose roll (a must get). They have no appetizers which kinda suck but you can have a nice meal for two and you will not spend more than 50,000 won. Also they do a funny thing of giving you about 4 pieces of edomamae beans to start you off….4 pieces???? I finished those in 6.7 seconds.
4. THAN– Looking for Indian food in Gangnam? This place has the goods. They have a very spicy yet flavorful Tandoori Chicken which you can get as a half or a full. They have great curry like chicken curry and beef curry. I would recommend the Chicken Masala or the Lamb Masala. Their Nan was a bit dry but the price and taste of this place more than made up for it. Phone number: 02-508-6660.
3. DIN TAI FUNG – This place is world famous. I am not talking about only in Seoul. Everyone in the world knows about this place. Most consider this Chinese restaurant to be the best Chinese restaurant in Seoul. Great dumplings, especially the dimsums and shaomais. Also their pork dumplings are to die for. This place has all kinds of soups that go great with the dimsums. This place has won so many awards so you must check it out at least once. They have many locations around Seoul and the Gangnam branch is one of the best. Phone number 02-569-2778.
2. COCO CURRY – WOW! This was a close call. A totally different restaurant compared to the #1 on this list. This place is a heaven for guys wanting to take a date to a nice restaurant in Gangnam. This place serves Japanese curry and you can choose the level of hotness. The levels range from 1 to 10. So I picked #4 because I don’t like my food too spicy….BUT….BAM!!! Level 4 was wayyy tooooo hottt. It was delicious don’t get me wrong. But it was tooo spicy to finish. I wonder what level 10 tastes like. I would recommend getting the level 1 (which is still spicy) and getting the cream koroke. They have so many different dishes however they always use the same curry. The price? Under 10,000 won. Can’t beat that! Phone number: 02-2051-5510.
1. MIES CONTAINER – The perfect place to take a date. This place is very unique in that it looks like a shipping container. Whenever I come here I have to wait about 45 minutes because the place gets packed. The lines so for about 30 meters!!! The line was what made me want to try this place…and it didn’t dissapoint. However the food they serve is “western style” so if you are not into it then go somewhere else. The inside has a 70s decor and they have the best chicken BBQ in Gangnam. They have different kinds of salads with delicious shredded cheese. The fries are made perfect and they have great pastas and potatoes. This place is a most go in Gangnam. Phone number: 02-536-5786