These are my picks for the top 10 restaurants in Hongdae. If you guys know of some awesome restaurants in Hongdae that i left out, please leave me a comment with the info. Thanks!
10. PENONG - This Chinese restaurant in Hongdae is not your typical Chinese restaurant. It does not have ja jang myeon or thang Su yook. However if you are looking for some real Chinese food, this is where you will find it. They have a great selection of duck dishes which are a bit too fatty and greasy. Maybe that is why it tastes to good. The Moo-shoo pork was kinda gross. It was way too soft and mushy. Phone number 02-325-3114.
9. NAGAMI RAMEN – 335-8 Seongyo-dong, Mapo-gu. Looking for a Japanese Ramen restaurant in Hongdae? Well you found it! This ramen is so good that it won this big Ramen Contest. I forgot the name of it but you can see the awards on the wall. So even before I ate it…the build up got me excited. Guess what! It lived up to the hype. Great Ramen! Simple yet tasty. Also at night this place becomes a bar so it gets loud and fun! Everyone goes to Hongdae to party…this Ramen is the best pre-party meal and the best part is that you can pre-drink right there! One of the top Japanese Ramen Restaurants in Seoul. Phone number 02-324-8545
8. BAB - Looking for some classic Korean food? This Korean restaurant in Hongdae has the best bulgogi in town. The portions are very generous and the flavor is not too salty like some of the other Korean restaurant bulgogi houses. The beef is marinated just right. Also order the sundubu which is a spicy tofu soup dish. It goes great with the bulgogi and rice. The nokdu jeon was not my favorite but it was very cheap so it is worth a try. Phone number 02-334-1866.
7. PAKITOS - This is a very nice yet small Spanish restaurant in Hongdae. They have cute paintings on the way and the place just seems FUN! But you are not here for that…you are here for the food! Well they have great Tapas and my favorite is the “Paella Gigantico.” Also they have a wide varity of drinks but of course you must order the Sangria. It comes with some tasty cumin-scented black olives. Personally I am not a big fan of olives but these were very tasty. Order the bread topped with shrimp-stuffed mushrooms which are delicious. Phone number 02-6407-6064.
6. BONGA – A very good Korean restaurant in Hongdae…but not the best…more on that later. It is a little hard to find. Exit 5 and turn left before you hit Pascucci and then turn right on the first street. The smell alone will tell you that you made it. I should not have to tell you this but you will have to cook the meat yourself. I would get there famous thin sliced beef which is a little fatty. Also you will have a unlimited supply of salad and side dishes.
5. SHANTI - The best Indian restaurant in Hongdae. This almost made my top ten Indian food list but to be honest even tho it is the best Indian restaurant in Hongdae, the taste is pretty average. You can get the family set if you go with your friends. The curry comes out in big pots. I would recommend the lamb vindaloo, tandoori chicken, and the chikcen tikka masala. Also they have decent garlic nans.
4. PRIMO BAOCI BACI - Mapo-gu, Seongyo-dong 346-47. This Italian restaurant in Hongdae is famous for their cream pasta in a bread casing. So you eat the pasta then later eat your bowl! Kinda like the clam chowder dishes we have back in the states. Also try the free garlic bread with garlic sauce. SO good but they give you so little…so sad. The Italian dishes here are not really “real” Italian so you are warned…however they taste fantastic. After your meal get the Mango Sherbert. Phone number: 02-323-0098.
3. 75015 - If you are looking for great French crepes this is the place to come to. This is more of a hangout where you can drink some coffee and have wonderful desserts…so I feel kinda funny putting it on a top 10 restaurant list. There Chicken galette is all right and the Salmon quiche looks better than it tastes. The crepes are what you come for and they are fantastic. Also they have a chocolate fondant with Vanilla ice cream. Very good! So after you meal come check out this place. Phone number 02-333-1113
2. AL BAIZYN - Another Spanish restaurant makes the list. This place might be a little expensive but if you skip the wine list you should be fine. They have nothing but fresh ingredients and they even import their spices from Spain. I would recommend the Paella and the PitPil. Also try the Serreno (thin sliced ham) to start. They have wonderful breads too. They dip the breads in garlic sauce and wrap it with ham…hmmm so good. Do not get anything here with shrimp because it is pretty average. Everything else…awesome!
1. HONGIK SUTBUL GALBI – Exit 4 and make a right. It should be very noisy and very packed! This is the best Korean BBQ place in Hongdae. It is famous in Korea because the owner is a butcher therefore you know the meat is fresh and of high quality. Everything here is good. Try the unmarinated beef with some salt and seseme oil. Also try some thin sliced beef called Cha Dol Bae Gi. But people really come here for the Galbi (marinated beef ribs). Be warned….do not go clubbing after you eat here. You will smell like beef…wait maybe that is a good thing.